August 18, 2016
Back to school is right around the corner! Now is the time where teachers are finalizing all of their lesson plans and making sure that their classrooms and in tip-top shape for the start of the new school year. While it might seem overwhelming getting back in the swing of things, here are some tips to follow to ensure that your transition back goes smoothly:
- Have your first week lesson plans set and ready to go. Set your rules by creating a clear discipline plan- it’s important to let your students know what is to be expected of them right off the bat.
- Decide which routines and procedures that will take part on a daily basis. Model proper execution of the routines and procedures to your students and establish a routine with them from the get-go.
- Create or update a substitute folder. This is important because often times teachers aren’t expecting to be absent and don’t have things prepared when they are. Include important information about your classroom like a seating chart, the rules of the room and class bell schedules. Having a few backup lesson plans are also important in the event of an emergency.
- Plan the first seating chart and have it available for students as soon as they walk into class. Seat charts can change throughout the year, but it’s important to have some order on the very first day. Take note, this is the first seating chart of the year, it can change quickly.
- Factor in time to grade every day. Your work doesn’t stop in the classroom and accounting for a little bit of time each day will ensure that you don’t get overwhelmed in the long run.
- Start again- remember every day is a new beginning at school and a chance for you to make an impact on your students! Teach others to be kind and accepting of one another and you will have a great year!
Do you have any back to school tips that you would like to share with us? Let us know on our Facebook page!
Nickerson Corporation is a leader in the classroom furniture industry, supplying educational furniture and equipment to schools in New York and New Jersey for the past 60 years. We realize the importance of providing reliable, comfortable and flexible classroom furniture for students to learn, play, and exercise on. To learn more about how we can help you transform your school or classroom into the perfect educational environment, call 631- 666-0200.