June 9, 2016
The final school bell is just about to ring, but not before you complete one last project — packing up your classroom! While the thought of organizing a whole school year’s worth of things can seem overwhelming, it doesn’t have to be! These five tips will ensure a stress free classroom cleanup!
- Pre-Pack: As you come across things you realize you won’t need for the remainder of the year, set them aside. Boxing up your belongings, or taking down a bulletin board little by little will seem much less daunting than having to do it all at once.
- When In Doubt, Throw It Out: Teachers tend to accumulate tons of supplies, books, and dare we say it, junk, over the years. If you haven’t used something in two years, chances are you don’t need it. Offer these items to other teachers in the teacher’s lounge, donate them, or toss ‘em. Clearing the clutter will help you be more organized and less overwhelmed.
- Grab the Labels: Marking your boxes will ensure a smoother transition when it comes to setting up your classroom for the following school year. The more specific you can be, the better. And don’t forget to add your name and room number in the event that the boxes are moved during the summer break.
- Ditch the Paper: Papers are bound to pile up in any classroom, but scanning your important handouts and saving them on your computer will greatly lighten your moving load.
- Enlist Volunteers: Everyone could use an extra set of helping hands, so enlisting the services of your students will take the load off of you. Delegate organizing, cleaning and packing tasks to them as a last day activity. It’ll be a win-win situation for you as the excited students will have a hard time sitting in their seats all day and you’ll get a head start on your clean up!
As you’re packing up your classroom, take a look around at the furniture. If your room can use a refresh, let Nickerson Corporation help! For the past 60 years, we have been a leader in the classroom furniture industry, supplying educational furniture and equipment to schools in New York and New Jersey. We realize the importance of providing reliable, comfortable and flexible classroom furniture for students to learn, play, and exercise on. To learn more about how we can help you transform your school or classroom into the perfect educational environment, call 631- 666-0200.