August 3, 2015
August is here, which means it’s time to start wrapping up your summer fun and plan for the beginning of another successful school year. With so much time off, it’s no doubt that you may be having some difficulty getting your head back in the game. To help, we’ve compiled a comprehensive back-to-school checklist for you to follow to make sure that all of your ducks and desks are in a row before the students return!
One Month Prior:
- Take inventory of your current supplies and stock up the necessities.
- Revamp your wardrobe with a few stylish new pieces. A new you for a new year!
- Research new and exciting lesson plan ideas.
- Pick up your school calendar and curriculum guides from your district office.
- Get your teacher’s guides and supplementary teaching materials, and get to studying!
- Create a list of personal and professional goals for the coming school-year.
Three Weeks Prior:
- Put together a course overview and define clear course goals.
- Broaden your network by joining a professional organization.
- Match your resources to each unit and develop lesson plans for each unit.
Two Weeks Prior:
- Develop a clear timeline and finalize your syllabus.
- Check out your classroom furniture and equipment for damages.
- Come up with a few classroom management tactics you’d like to employ.
- Create a clearly defined list of classroom rules and procedures.
- Prepare your classroom for students by rearranging desks and setting up workstations.
One Week Prior:
- Make sure all necessary paperwork and school forms are in order.
- Develop a plan for emergency fires drills.
- Outline your daily routines for attendance and morning duties.
- Write a letter to parents or guardians introducing yourself.
- Set up a class website where you can share important announcements and class news.
- Make sure your first three weeks of lesson plans are prepared.
- Get to know your student’s names and create a seating chart to help you remember them.
One Day Prior:
- Run back through your checklist for any items you may have missed.
- Do a once over of your lesson plans and classroom.
- Relax, sleep well and enjoy your last day before school starts!
Follow this easy checklist, and you’ll be in great shape for the first week of September in no time!
Nickerson Corporation is a leader in the classroom furniture industry, supplying educational furniture and equipment to schools in New York and New Jersey for the past 60 years. We realize the importance of providing reliable, comfortable and flexible classroom furniture for students to learn, play, and exercise on. To learn more about how we can help you transform your school or classroom into the perfect educational environment, call 631- 666-0200.