March 24, 2016
Spring has sprung, which means your students are bound to start getting the warm weather bug. Instead of trying to overcome their excitement, embrace it with some educational experiences outside the classroom. We’re talking about field trips of course! And, what better place to start than right in New York City — home to a wide variety of educational museums and learning centers just like these:
- American Museum of Natural History – Home to a wide variety of exhibitions on biodiversity and nature, the opportunities to plug this museum into your spring curriculum are endless. Plus, it’s a great option for students of all ages and grade level.
- The Bronx Zoo – No childhood is complete without a trip to the zoo, especially one that includes a variety of education programs and guided tours. Pair this fun field trip alongside your spring science curricula for an outdoor lesson every student will enjoy.
- Central Park Conservatory – There’s nothing quite like a trip to one of the most iconic park’s in the tri-state area, but centralizing your visit at the Central Park Conservatory is that makes it even more worthwhile. Here, students will have the opportunity to learn, inquire about and explore all that Central Park has to offer.
- The Horticultural Society of New York – Just in time for April’s Lawn and Garden Month, take a trip to this great venue to help teach your students about urban ecology, rainwater collection, botany, environmental action, and more. As a bonus, The Hort also offers a variety of teaching enrichment programs to educators — adult field trip coming up!
- SIMS Municipal Recycling Center – What better way to celebrate Earth Day this year than by teaching your students a bit more about recycling. Located in the Sunset Park Material Recovery Facility, the Recycling Education Center offers students the opportunity to both learn about sustainability, as well as to witness it in action.
Looking for more great ideas to kick off your spring field trip season? Just visit the NYC Department of Education’s website for a complete list of educational field trip destination ideas throughout New York City and it’s five boroughs.
For more than 60 years, Nickerson Corporation has provided quality classroom furniture solutions to schools in New York, New Jersey and the surrounding areas. Our partnerships with leading manufacturers have allowed us to offer comfortable, reliable and flexible classroom furniture, perfect for any educational setting. For more information about our products, call 631-666-0200.