September 24, 2014
At Nickerson Corporation, it is our goal to deliver orders to our customers in a timely fashion as part of our commitment to providing the best customer service possible. However, while much of the delivery process lies on our part, the receiver also plays a significant role. In order to ensure a smooth delivery, it’s important for the receiver to be prepared with the proper paperwork and know what to look for upon receiving their items.
Are you expecting a delivery in the near future? See below for a few tips to help you prepare:
- Unless inside delivery is requested and the proper costs are added to the PO, most orders are tailgate delivery.
- For tailgate deliveries, the customer is responsible for removing the products off of the tail end of the truck and onto their dock/inside the building,
- If a lift gate is needed for unloading, it must be requested in advance. They are not automatically on every truck and come at an additional cost. Extra charges will also incur if it is not noted on a PO, or if a customer sends the truck away and asks it to return with a lift truck.
- The receiver should always have a copy of the PO on hand when the truck arrives.
- The receiver should compare the Bill of Lading and the PO to see if there are any discrepancies or missing items.
- The receiver should make note of any damaged or missing items on the Bill of Lading.
- The receiver should count and recount all items that are delivered, then inspect every box for damage while the driver is still present. If items or packaging is damaged, be sure to take pictures of it for future reference.
If after inspecting all packages and products you believe that damage has occurred, you are not obligated to accept it. In fact, we’d appreciate it if you gave us a call to let us know about any delivery issues so that we can get in touch with the manufacturer as soon as possible! To contact us with any questions or concerns during delivery, please call us at (631) 666-0200!