June 3, 2014
While spring or summer clean outs are a popular seasonal activity that take place at home, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take some time to do the same at work. Organization is a key factor in being able to produce quality work, and too often we spend more time looking for our work than doing it! In fact, you’d be surprised at how much time can be saved in the long run just by dedicating a few hours to a thorough clean out and organization session. To help you get started, we’ve compiled a list of office organizing tips that you can use to clean up your work space and maximize productivity:
1. Purge: Take some time and get rid of everything you don’t need or want. If you haven’t used something in a long time, you don’t need it! Check for any duplicate items, such as two staplers, and either get rid of one or hand it off to someone else in the office who may be in need. In addition to cleaning out your own work space, this a great tip that the entire office can use to de-clutter by removing any furniture, decorations, or equipment that no longer serve a purpose.
2. Use labels: Spend some time labeling shelves, bins and baskets to remind yourself where certain things are. This can be especially helpful when you’re in a hurry, since you won’t have to spend time searching through each drawer to find a particular item.
3. Filing system: Create an effective filing system that can help you find important paperwork easily. For some, this may mean placing things in alphabetical order, while for others, it may be easier to file paperwork by client. If you’re looking for a paperless way to file important documents, consider creating electronic folders on your computer’s desktop where you can easily access data at the click of a button.
4. Go vertical: Using vertical storage bins allow you save floor space while increasing storage space. Items you use regularly should be stored at eye level, while less important items can be stored up high or down low.
5. Clear your desk: The top of your desk should only contain items you need at the ready. Everything else can be housed in storage cabinets above, below, or next to your desk. Don’t forget to check your desk again at the end of the night to clean off any items that need to be put away.
For more tips on how to organize your office space, click here.
At Nickerson Corporation, we understand how an organized work space can improve your ability to get things done comfortably and efficiently. That’s why we offer administrative furniture to both schools and professional buildings that can assist in organization by providing ample storage space both within your desks and around your desks. Partnering with top manufacturers Global and Hon, we are available to supply products such as Veneer Desking to help you get the most out of your workspace each and every day. For more information, contact us at 631-666-0200 today!