March 21, 2014
Now that spring is officially here, it’s time to start planning your school’s spring activities! If your school offers orchestra, band and/or chorus to students, then you’re probably beginning to prepare for your annual spring concert. We know putting on a great show can be overwhelming; there’s a lot that needs to be done before the performance happens. That’s why we’ve put together a guide to help you prepare and eliminate any stress you may be feeling:
- Date: First, work with school administrators to set a date for the concert. Will there be more than one performance? Is it during the day or at night?
- Choose a Theme and Songs: To make your show special, try selecting a theme to base your songs off of. Once you’ve chosen your theme and songs, consider adding movement (such as dances and hand motions), narration and costumes to give your performance personality.
- Reserve Risers and Space: One of the most important things to figure out is how and where your concert will take place. Discuss stage setup with school administrators in advance, and if you plan on having a dress rehearsal, make sure you have all the equipment you need prior to the show. Here at Nickerson, we can supply you with all of your staging needs.
- Communicate: Communication is key for any show to be successful. Start by alerting teachers and secretaries what you are planning, then notify parents about the date and time of their child’s show. For a quick reminder, include a notice about the performance on your school’s website.
- Dress Rehearsal: If you’re planning a rehearsal during school hours, let teachers know that some of their students will need to miss class. If your rehearsal is before or after school, coordinate with parents to make sure all students arrive on time.
- Programs: Parents love having something tangible they can keep from their child’s performances, so include a program that lists student’s names and the songs performed. To make it more personal, have a contest where students can compete to design the program’s cover.
- Talk to Your Students: Before the show, talk to your students about when they should arrive and where you will meet. It is also important to discuss performance behavior, how they will line up, and how to safely get on and off the risers before hand so that there is no confusion the day of.
Now that you know the steps to putting on a great performance, do you know all of the equipment you will need? Here at Nickerson Corporation, we supply a variety of products and services that can transform your school’s space into the perfect concert arena. Thanks to leading manufacturer’s like National Public Seating, Hussey and Staging Concepts, we offer stages and risers that are safe, comfortable and easy to set up. Additionally, we are available to repair, refurbish or replace your auditorium seating to provide your guests with a comfortable viewing experience. Call us at 631-666-0200 to begin preparation for your school’s concert today.